fronted /oU/

Tim Frazer tcf at MACOMB.COM
Sat Nov 4 22:08:04 UTC 2000

All these examples of /ow/ fronting raise some interesting questions.
1.  Is it a  pandialectal movement?  It's in the southern shift, which is
usually account for as a chain shift in which various vowels diplace each
other, and Labov seems to include "southern England, New Zealand, South
Africa, the Middle Atlantic States, the Southern Mountain States, and both
the Upper and Lower South" in this shift.  But how does this account for
/ow/ fronting among California women, or, as Alice just mentioned, in CT (it
really blows my mind to hear it is there.  I had no idea).

2.  In some places it is socially motivated.  In Farmer City, IL, Tim Habick
reports /ow/ fronting as well as other features of the SS among the
"burnouts" in farmer City High School -- the outgroup, the dopers.  But this
would not account for its presence in SE OH. Or, I presume, CT, although
Alice didn't mention social characteristics.  (Any breakdowns of your
sample, Alice?)

3.  These feature has apparently been in W Pa, se OH, se PA (but not central
PA), n WV, and scattered around NJ and in NYC for a long time -- see Kurath
and McDavid's map 21 (Pronunciation of Eng in the Atl states, 1961, U of Ala
P).  The LAMSAS informants were mostly born in the nineteenth century,
sometimes before the Civil War, so Beveryly's landlady's pronunciation
probably represented 3rd generation use.  But if people came to my part of
Illinois from the same places as to SE OH, albeit 30 years later, why does
/ow/ fronting not show up earlier in Illinois?

4.  is this an Ulster Scots features?