Gone and V-ed

Johanna N Franklin johannaf+ at ANDREW.CMU.EDU
Tue Nov 7 17:52:27 UTC 2000

    It does mean that he did "drown his dinner in syrup."  The
connotation is that he did something wrong, as in

Can you believe that he just went and wrote that letter without telling me?
That cat of yours has gone and destroyed my couch.

    I'm more used to hearing it as "...went and...," obviously, but I
have heard "gone" too (growing up in southern Illinois, rather rural).
This construction was mainly used to discuss someone doing something bad.

    Johanna, who wants UPS to stop by and pick up her defective monitor

Excerpts from mail: 7-Nov-100 Gone and V-ed by Salikoko Mufwene at MIDWAY.