Gone and V-ed

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Nov 7 06:22:51 UTC 2000

>Here's my attempt, solely as a native Alabamian (b. 1962,
>Montgomery), at this:
>

>Now, if she were really outraged, she might have said, "But he's
>hauled off and drowned . . .," implying that Walter flagrantly,
>defiantly poured syrup all over his food. But really this is
>something I believe I've heard only men and boys say.

And if she were in a singin' mood, she could have (grown up and)
topped off Shenia's "gone an' done it" with the classic string band
sound of Wayne Raney's "Why Don't You Haul Off and Love Me?"
(recorded by several artists and groups in 1949, covered by Dolly
Parton 20 years later).    So Dolly  says "haul off and" at least
once, and she ain't no man nor boy, I don't reckon.

larry