"money" as AAVE quasi-pronoun?

Jesse Sheidlower jester at PANIX.COM
Wed Nov 8 21:44:23 UTC 2000

In HDAS, under _money_ 'friend (in direct address)' (e.g.
"Yo, money, whassup?"), we have two examples where this
_money_ is functioning as a quasi-pronoun: "Money
[i.e. 'he'] can rap" and "Leave money [i.e. 'him']
alone".

I have a vague sense that I've encountered this elsewhere, or
that it is at least slightly common, but I can't find any
additional examples. Parallel examples with other AAVE
direct-address terms sound plausible to my ear (e.g.
"Homes was doin' great!" (invented ex.)), but I can't find
evidence for them either.

Is anyone familiar with this usage--preferably with
examples, but at least able to confirm or refute my
suspicion that the construction has at least some
currency? Is this construction or parallels used
in any other way?

Jesse Sheidlower
OED