Cute Ute; Chadgate

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Nov 12 19:46:26 UTC 2000

CUTE UTE

   The Sunday NEW YORK TIMES, Automobile section, uses "cute ute."  There are
50 Dow Jones database hits, but 21 in the past year.  The earliest "cute ute"
for a sports utility vehicle is the ROCKY MOUNTAIN NEWS, 11-11-1995, "Suzuki
gets cute," pg. 1C:

   What is it?  A dune buggy?  A golf cart?
   No, a cute ute.

   The LOS ANGELES TIMES, 4-26-1996, uses "cute ute" regarding Toyota's RAV4.
   This cutesy thing ain't goin away.

CHADGATE

   I was beaten to the ADS-L punch on "chad."  I hang my chad in shame.
   Sunday's NEW YORK POST has "Chadgate."
   Actor Chad Everett could be behind this.

GROK

   PC MAGAZINE editor-in-chief Michael Miller was my editor on THE
POLYTECHNIC (voted an All-America college newspaper) at Rensselaer
Polytechnic Institute.  He's gone on to great heights while I beg newspapers
for decades to give my research away for free, or even to correct errors.