Fwd: "chad" revisited

Michael Quinion editor at WORLDWIDEWORDS.ORG
Mon Nov 13 09:55:12 UTC 2000

> Can anyone (dis)confirm this charming story?   The etymology
> was forwarded to me by a former student of mine and long-time
> puzzler.

I've just written a piece about 'chad' for next week's issue of
World Wide Words. What research I've been able to do suggests
strongly that Mr Chadless was fictional. There was a chadless
punch, but the word seems to have been derived from the existing
'chad'.

However, if anyone has evidence to the contrary, I'd be more
than interested to hear (before next Saturday, if possible!).

--
Michael Quinion
Editor, World Wide Words