secular prayer

David Sanders lingthings at YAHOO.COM
Tue Nov 14 20:55:23 UTC 2000

I'm working on a discourse analysis project on secular
prayer, or prayer that is not religion specific.  I
would like to look at lexical elements, such as
neutral terms for deity along with other
religion-neutral words that may be unique to (or help
to characterize) secular prayer, and structual
elements.  I also would like to look at social
elements, such as the situations in which these
"prayers" are expected or appropriate, such as in
schools or in political addresses or in greeting
cards.  I haven't been able to find much linguistic
research on this topic, and I was wondering if anybody
could point me in a useful direction.  Thank you.

David Sanders
University of Memphis