A Supreme.

Mark Odegard markodegard at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Nov 17 22:07:32 UTC 2000

Perhaps ADS has previously noticed the promotion of 'supreme' to the status of a noun, and apologies if this is old hat. I see that the online dictionaries do not record this sense (except for AHD4 which defines it as a sauce or kind of serving bowl/sherbert glass).

A supreme is a supreme court justice, either federal or state. The Supremes are the US Supreme Court. Drudge had a headline about the 'Fla Supremes'. As a plural it refers to 1) two or more supreme court justices, or 2) (collectively to any full supreme court.

This usage has been around for some time. Presumably it derives as a witty play on "Diana Ross and the Supremes". I think it's here to stay. It certainly passes the test of usefulness. It is considerably shorter than 'supreme court justice' or 'high court'.

Comments?