more chad chaff

Sun Nov 19 18:04:56 UTC 2000

Normally, I am a fan of Gerald's as regards etymological stuff, but the
claim that we are in the new (data processing) age and should not look to
Middle English for sources leaves me a little worried about words like
"airplane," "helicopter," and the like.

dInIs (who admittedly likes old wine in old bottles but will look elsewhere)

>>(6) So my tentatively advanced, speculative etymology of "chad" is
>>(drumroll, please):
>>an acronym of CHip of Automatic Data.
>
>>-----Gerald Cohen
>

>How about:
>Cut Hole And Discard.
>
>I, too, like the notion of an acronym and see that it could lead to ENDLESS
>discussion of candidates, just as the election itself seems to be doing.
>A. Murie

Dennis R. Preston
Department of Linguistics and Languages
Michigan State University