"chad"--a possible origin

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Sun Nov 19 21:36:01 UTC 2000

On Sun, 19 Nov 2000, Jesse Sheidlower wrote:

> I don't think for a second that _chad_ has an acronymic etymology,
> but the answer to the second quesion is surely that computer
> types often use amusing unetymological plurals; there are various
> words with _-im_ plurals, such as _frobnitz, frobnitzim_, and
> even more with _-en_ plurals, such as _Vax, Vaxen._

I agree with Jesse that an acronymic etymology is very unlikely.  If it's
an acronym, why are none of the earliest examples (including 1947 and 1962
citations I have looked at that are not included in Barry's post)
capitalized and why do none of them refer to an acronymic derivation?

Fred Shapiro

Associate Librarian for Public Services     YALE DICTIONARY OF QUOTATIONS
  and Lecturer in Legal Research            Yale University Press,