"chad" in OED

Jesse Sheidlower jester at PANIX.COM
Mon Nov 27 14:40:06 UTC 2000

I just wanted to clarify the status of the word _chad_ in the OED.
Despite various statements about its future inclusion, such
statements including my reported "sniffing" that it was under
consideration before recent political events, _chad_ was first
publicly included in OED material in 1993, in the _Oxford
English Dictionary Additions Series,_ Volume I. It is in OED
Online as well. Our etymology is "Origin unknown" and the first
example is 1959, which will be improved upon when we get
around to revising it.

Jesse Sheidlower
OED
<jester at panix.com>