Rueben; Monte Cristo; French Dip; Box Lunch; Kaiser

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Nov 28 02:28:14 UTC 2000

   I've been going through RESTAURANT MANAGEMENT.  There are quite a few gems.

RUEBEN; MONTE CRISTO; FRENCH DIP SANDWICHES

   From RESTAURANT MANAGEMENT, June 1936, pages 412-413:

_Hy's Three-Ring Circus MENU MAKING_
E. A. Bachman, proprietor of the Annex, Portland, Oregon, features Hy Frager,
the famous American chef who peps up menu listings with verbal acrobatics.
(Pg. 413, col. 1--ed.)
       _Combination Sandwiches_
"CLUBHOUSE" (Breast of Chicken, Crisp Premium Bacon, TOmato, Lettuce, Pickles
and Olives)... .40
"RUEBEN" (Not "Reuben"--ed.) (Baked Premium Ham, WHite Meat Chicken, Coquille
Swiss Cheese and Tomato on Russian Rye)... .45
"MONTE CRISTO" (Baked Ham and Coquille Swiss Cheese, French Toasted in
Butter)... .35
"ANNEX" (Oregon's Choice Yaquina Oysters, Ham, Green Peppers in Butter, Cream
and Eggs)... .45
(Col. 2--ed.)
"POP" (Chicken Salad, Lettuce, Tomato and Bacon, Olives)... .30
"HOLC" (Baked Ham, Peanut Butter and India Relish)... .25
"PWA" (Tuna Fish, Tomato, Lettuce and 1000 Isle)... .25
"FOREST SERVICE" (Baked Beans, Chili Sauce and Bacon)...  .25
"FRENCH DIP SANDWICH" (A crispy, crunchy Hard Roll w/ an amazing filling of
Barbecued Meat, Swiss Cheese and a spicy, tangy Wine Sauce that combines into
a superb bouquet of flavor)... .20

   Also, RESTAURANT MANAGEMENT, January 1937, "ideas from a thousand menus,"
pg. 55, col. 2:

SANDWICHES (...)
$.35 Monte Cristo (Ham and American Cheese, Dipped in Egg, Fried in
Butter)--Ballard-Ludlow Ferry.

CHEESEBURGERS

   OED has "cheeseburger" from 1938, citing AMERICAN SPEECH.
   From RESTAURANT MANAGEMENT, June 1935, pg. 429, advertisement for
Kraft-Phenix Cuisine Service:

The new profit specialty--
HAMBURGER-CHEESE BUNS
   In every town they've hit, they've been a sensation--Hamburger-Cheese
Buns!  Something new...something people try out of curiosity..order again and
again because they taste _so good_!
   They're toasted buns filled with fried hamburger patties, Miracle Whip
Salad Dressing, India relish and--Kraft "Old English" Cheese!

(Kraft would have tons of "cheeseburger" ads in the 1950s in this same
publication--ed.)

BACON-LETTUCE-TOMATO (BLT)

   From RESTAURANT MANAGEMENT, April 1937, pg. 303, and a menu dated December
15, 1936:

   SANDWICHES
Bacon, Tomato and Lettuce Sandwich  .20

(OED has _Hash House_ of 1941 for this "BMT" sandwich.  Kraft would call this
"America's Favorite" in its multi-colored 1950s ads, but I'll tell you when I
spot "BLT"--ed.)

BOX LUNCH

   OED has 1954 for "box lunch."  Surely, better stuff is in the files?
   RESTAURANT MANAGEMENT, April 1937, pg. 310, col. 1:

_LUNCH BOX CATERERS DOOM FULL DINNER PAIL_
(Photo--ed.) Line up of caterers' trucks at a Milwaukee factory waiting for
the noonday rush.
(Another photo shows a building that reads: "THE HOME OF ACE, INC., BOX LUNCH
'There are None Better'"--ed.)

KAISER ROLLS

   OED has 1968 for "Kaiser bun" and 1978 for "Kaiser roll."  Just awful!  I
haven't checked DARE.
   From RESTAURANT MANAGEMENT, June 1937, pg. 516, col. 2:

_ROLLS FOR INTERNATIONAL APPETITES_
    _INDEX-ROLLS_