"job-shaped object"

Mark A. Mandel Mark_Mandel at DRAGONSYS.COM
Mon Oct 2 14:44:38 UTC 2000

>From a co-worker of mine, forwarded by permission.

-----------------------------------

Seems to me that "job-shaped object" ought properly to refer to the
supposed job of said usually-high-ranking employee who does little more
than show up at it, rather than to the employee him- or herself.  After
all, "piano-shaped object" refers to the instrument, not the player.

I can't think of specific variations on this I've actually heard, but I do
know at least one person who fairly frequently uses phrases like "<x>
-shaped object" and "well, it's *like* a <x>".  If she referred to
something as a job-shaped object, though, it would probably be her own job,
and she would mean that it didn't give her something she wants from a job,
like enough money, or things to do that relate to her actual profession,
etc.

Let us not forget "clue-by-four," the metaphorical object used to whack
people over the head to alert them when they really ought to know better.
It's just to get their attention, really it is ...

Speaking of which, I really ought to get back to work so I can finish and
get some sleep: I have to get up early to go to class and play medieval
music on a vaguely vielle-shaped object ...

Jonathan