"-meister" as name suffix

Jesse Sheidlower jester at PANIX.COM
Fri Oct 6 14:26:53 UTC 2000

>  Robert L. Chapman's New Dictionary of American Slang (2 ed. 1975)
> has Perkmeister An official in charge of favors , jobs, patronage,
> etc. in a political organization; "after two years as executive aide
> to 'Perkmeister' John FW Rogers, who administers all agencies in the
> executive office of the president" - Washingtonian.

> No date given, though, but definitely older than 1991.

First of all, the first edition of Chapman was 1986 (the entry isn't
found in the 1975 "Second" (read "Third") edition of Wentworth and
Flexner), but more importantly, this is an example of the broader use
I mentioned later in my post, not the use after personal names that
I'm concerned with here.

JTS