English in Japanese

Devon Coles dcoles at HOME.COM
Fri Oct 6 20:33:50 UTC 2000

Doug -

A good general reference may be found in works on interlanguage - I don't
know what you call the blending of Japanese and English, but I do know a
little about Konglish - the blending of Korean and English.

A similar situation exists in Korea, where I taught English for 2 years.
Konglish abounds!  I was housed in an "apat" in a building called
"sumamansh" with a very convenient "bus-uh" or speedy "takshi" to take me to
work. I could have a "bee mag" for lunch if I went to McDonald's, and "ai-su
kureema" for dessert. Or "peetsha" at Pizza Hut, but the "ae-kon" was too
chilly for my taste.

Most ESL teachers spend a good deal of class time correcting interlanguage
errors. Personally, I like Konglish. It gives rise to very expressive
language. My favourite is Konglish for Swiss Army Knife - "Muh Guyva
Naif-uh."

(As for skinship, you quickly get over being a touch-me-not if you spend any
time in Korea. Everybody touches everybody! )

apat = apartment (r is troublesome for Korean speakers)
sumamansh = summer mansion (located at a resort beach)
bus-uh = bus (Korean speakers add a schwa to satisfy a rule of speech in
Hangukmal, the Korean language)
takshi = taxi (s followed by ee sounds become sh in Hangukmal)
bee-mag = Big Mac
ai-su-kureema = ice cream
peetsha = pizza (z's come out all spitty)
ae-kon = air conditioning

These, of course, are all lexical items. They very much depend on the
phonological rules of the native language dictating their pronunciation.
Your point was that you detect English grammatical influences in Japanese.
Can't say I found the same in Korea.

Cheers,
Devon Coles