missing word: mullet -- MORE!

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Sun Oct 8 14:34:26 UTC 2000

 >... Also, one site mentions (and gives quotes from the script) the use of the
term "mullethead" in "Cool Hand Luke".  But there is no connection to
haircuts evident in that film.

That's right, and I just watched it. George Kennedy's character uses it
like "dummy" toward fellow prisoners. There is no connection with hair
length, and none of the prisoners has a mullet, nor even what we'd call
unusually long hair.

 >... Someone pick up the thread, please!

We have.

Lately a 'female mullet' is sometimes called a 'fullet', apparently. Pat
Benatar had this in 1980, IIRC -- don't know what it was called then.

I have seen mullets on men since about 1970. I never knew the name; I don't
know whether there was a name in the 1970's. I think this began as a
blue-collar version of long 'hippie' hair; the distinction between the
(shorter-haired of the) male hippies in an anti-Vietnam-War rally and the
longer-haired of the construction workers jeering at the rally in the early
1970's was (IIRC) that the workers' hair did not fall onto their faces.

I still see mullets. I must be getting a little old, because I am impressed
(not entirely favorably) when I see a boy about 8 years old with a mullet,
or with a rat-tail, or with one of those 'bowl' cuts that make boys look
like mushrooms -- what's the name of that one?

-- Doug Wilson