Barrow ditch.

Felton, Robert RFelton at ISA.ORG
Tue Oct 10 12:22:51 UTC 2000

>> Better consult it! The DARE entries for "barrow ditch" and "barrow pit"
are
>> far too long to copy here, but briefly "barrow ditch"="barrow pit" 1 = a
>> roadside drainage ditch, chiefly West, esp Rocky Mts. There is also
"barrow
>> pit" 2 = a place from which material for construction has been excavated,
and
>> which, esp in the Gulf States, often fills with water."

Ouch! I should have spotted this right away.  A "BORROW PIT" is the place
from which soil is "borrowed" for use as fill.  Often, soil is borrowed from
the side of a roadway alignment in order to elevate the road and, at the
same time, provide drainage along the side.  I can't imagine how this got
turned into "barrow;" the southern accent, I suppose.

Robert M. Felton, P.E.
Technical Editor, InTech Magazine
ISA - The Instrumentation, Systems, and Automation Society
67 Alexander Drive
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709

E-Mail: rfelton at isa.org <mailto:rfelton at isa.org>
Phone: (919) 990-9223