Bulgarian computer virus ("Murphy")

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Oct 10 16:00:42 UTC 2000

   Greetings again from Sofia, where I have just a few minutes before dinner.

BULGARIAN COMPUTER VIRUS "MURPHY"--Veliko Tarnovo, where I just came from, is noted for its pirate software.  Microsoft lobbied for changes in Bulgaria's copyright laws; Bulgaria agreed, because they want to join the EU.  Bulgaria rationalizes intellectual property theft with (1) they can't afford the real stuff and (2) the west took away all their computer professionals that were educated under communism in the 1980s.
   Bulgaria claims to have invented the first computer virus, "Murphy," written by the Dark Avenger.  I can't verify this, and I don't know if Murphy will make the OED.

RESTAURANT "LOMEVA HOUSE"
   Our lunch stop.
TARATOR--traditional Bulgarian cold summer soup made with yogurt, cucumbers, garlic and dill
GIUVETCHE PO MANDRADJIISKI--feta cheese, yellow cheese, sausage, mushrooms, tomatoes, peppers baked in an earthenware pot
SUDJUK--Bulgarian salami
PASTARMA--(My guide thinks "pastrami" is Bulgarian?--ed)
SHKEMBE--tripe soup
KEBABCHE--meat grilled

ETHNIC DRESS
   Found at an ethnographic museum.