Research pointers

Joe Pickett Joe_Pickett at HMCO.COM
Wed Oct 11 19:54:20 UTC 2000

One place to start would be the relevant section of John R. Rickford and
Russell J. Rickford's Spoken Soul, pp. 86 ff.

There is a bibiographic note to this part of the book at the back (pp
238-239), though it does not mention any hip-hop glossaries.
But note:
"In linguistic circles, the recognized authority on vernacular usage in rap
and hip-hop music is Marcyliena Morgan, whose forthcoming books are

 Say It Loud: Discourse and Verbal Genres in African American Culture
(Cambridge U Press, 2000) and, with Stephen DeBerry, Thursday Night at
Project Blowed: Underground Hip Hop and Urban Youth Resistance (Duke U
Press, to appear).

Joe

Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU>@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> on 10/11/2000
02:46:21 AM

Please respond to American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>

Sent by:  American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>