Jack Mormon

Thu Oct 12 14:46:43 UTC 2000

--- "Douglas G. Wilson" <douglas at NB.NET> wrote:
> >And I've never heard a good explanation of where
> Jack Mormon (for a
> >lapsed Mormon) fit in?
>
> A very good question which I've wondered about too.
>
> Maybe a parallel to "don't know jack", i.e.,
> "nothing" -- a "null Mormon"?
>
> This expression also is used to mean a "gentile"
> (i.e., a non-Mormon) in
> Mormon country, according to the RH dictionary. But
> I haven't heard it used
> this way.
>
> -- Doug Wilson

My understanding was that the name originally referred
to those who were not Mormon but were sympathetic
towards them - "Mormon lovers", and that later the
name came to refer to "lapsed" Mormons.  I've never
heard it used as an all-inclusive name for
non-Mormons, even here in "Mormon country".

=====
SLC, UT                        |it is that we will be sued