THE WORD DETECTIVE by Evan Morris

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Oct 14 23:40:06 UTC 2000

THE WORD DETECTIVE
by Evan Morris
228 pages, hardcover, $17.95
Algonquin Books of Chapel Hill, 2000

   The bio in the back says: "EVAN MORRIS divides his time between a New York
City apartment and a rambling old farmhouse in rural Ohio.  His syndicated
column, 'The Word Detective,' is read all over the U.S. as well as in Mexico
and Japan."  (That's true.  I've read it in Mexico and in Japan!--ed.)

ACKNOWLEDGMENTS page:  Thanks are also due to...Barry Popik...Jesse
Sheidlower, William Safire...the _New York Daily News_...the American Dialect
Society...and anyone who ever laughed at my joke about the penguins in the
convertible.

Pg. 227: (Web Sites of interest.  I would have also included Paul McFedries
to the five listed here.--ed.)
_American Dialect Society_ (www.americandialect.org): The ADS is a scholarly
organization that studies the English language in North America and produces
the journal _American Speech_.  On the ADS Web site, you can read back issues
of the ADS newsletter, subscribe to the ADS-L e-mail discussion list, search
the ADS-L archives, and, of course, join the ADS.

   What about those penguins in the convertible?