tumeric/turmeric & donut/doughnut

krahnke krahnke at LAMAR.COLOSTATE.EDU
Mon Oct 16 19:59:15 UTC 2000

But I think that most of us who have it in our active vocabulary stress it on
the first syllable, making it quite different from 'surprise.'

Karl Krahnke
English Department
Colorado State University

>===== Original Message From American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
=====
>I would not call 'turmeric' an active-vocabulary item. It's one of those
words you see on the ingredient-list of condiments, especially prepared
mustards.

>For those who do have it in their active vocabulary, it likely follows the
same rule as the first R in 'surprise'. Most people drop it, even if their
speech is otherwise remorselessly rhotic, as with General American.

>Mark.
>
>  From: Douglas G. Wilson
>
>  Do those who know of the existence of 'turmeric' often use 'tumeric'
instead?