another "Subway Series" spinoff

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Oct 17 01:00:26 UTC 2000

After the Mets clinched their spot in what may or may not turn into
the first Subway (World0 Series since 1956, one of their announcers
mentioned that (since the Yankees haven't yet clinched) we didn't yet
know whether this would in fact be a Subway Series or whether Seattle
could come back and win tonight and tomorrow and turn it into a
"Starbucks Series".  (I had the sense that he wasn't coining the
moniker on the spot, but repeating something he'd heard or read.)
While Seattle is associated with Starbucks, New York's connection is
rather indirect.  But at least it alliterates.  Anyway, in the
unlikely event that the Mariners win two straight in Yankee Stadium
and everyone starts bandying "Starbucks Series" about, you (probably)
read it here first.

larry