Southern 2nd-person plural double genitive

Mai Kuha mkuha at BSUVC.BSU.EDU
Tue Oct 17 13:39:53 UTC 2000

On Mon, 16 Oct 2000, Rudolph C Troike wrote:

> Did you-all catch Jim Lehrer's double genitive at the end of the presidential
> "debate" the other night: "your-all's"? I just thought it should be noted
> for the record.

Shoot, so I did miss something, after all, when I fell asleep in the
middle of the 10/11 debate. It's also interesting to consider which
features are preserved in the transcripts and which are not, since at the
website we have both RealAudio and the transcripts. If this is the part
you're referring to, it seems to have been slightly sanitized:

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/election2000/

MR. LEHRER: I know. I know. (Laughter.) But about -- you're not -- under
you-all's rules, you are not allowed to ask each other a question. I let
you do it a moment ago --

-Mai
Mai Kuha                  mkuha at bsuvc.bsu.edu
Department of English     (765) 285-8410
Ball State University