Kitchen Sink/Stove

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Oct 17 16:49:41 UTC 2000

KITCHEN SINK/STOVE

   I also checked out some drink publications at the Free Library of
Philadelphia.
   RHHDAS has "kitchen sink" from 1944.  Titelman doesn't give a specific
date.
   From MY NEW COCKTAIL BOOK (Charles Watson Russell Press, NYC, second
edition August 1934) by G. F. Steele, pg. 46:

EVERYTHING BUT
25% Scotch
25% Dry Gin
25% Lemon juice
25% Orange juice
1 white of an Egg
1 tablespoonful Apricot Brandy
Gum syrup to taste
This little drink is christened thusly because it contains everything but the
kitchen stove!

MISC.

DENVER SANDWICH--I said that the Sinclair Lewis ARROWSMITH (1925) citation
was from Mariani, but I should have said that it was from DARE.  Another
earlier cite is HOTEL MONTHLY, May 1919, pg. 75, col. 2,
"SANDWICHES...HOT...Denver...40."

KAHN ON SUBWAY SERIES--Two letters about Roger Kahn's Saturday piece made
today's New York Times.  Not one questioned the Willard Mullin "coinage."  I
feel like crap knowing that I can't even give the truth away for free.