heaveno/heaven-o

Lynne Murphy lynnem at COGS.SUSX.AC.UK
Wed Oct 18 20:37:00 UTC 2000

>FYI -- here's a URL advocating avoidance of "hello," driven by a Christian
>folk-etymological analysis into "hell + o." Apparently, Kleberg County,
>Texas has officially adopted "heaveno" as a substitute greeting. One wonders
>how much currency it will ever gain....
>
>http://www.kingsville.org/heaveno/
>
>Greg Downing, at greg.downing at nyu.edu or gd2 at is2.nyu.edu

Two (maybe 3 now) years ago, a town in Texas passed a law mandating
'Heaven-o' use.  It made _Texas Monthly_'s list of awards for stupid
things in Texas (I can't remember the name of the award now, nor do I
think I kept the article.

Don't you just love it when I send useless observations like this?
(Someone stop me!)

L.

--
M. Lynne Murphy