Native American English accent

Wed Oct 18 22:05:12 UTC 2000

Yes, but it's also common (in Indian and non-Indian groups alike) in
Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, the Dakotas....  It ain't just
Canadian!  My Ohio students hear it in me after 30+ years away from
Minnesota.  Degree of raising of course varies; my nieces have it much more
than I do.  I've done research among the Lakota Sioux in South Dakota, and
there are some distinctive features in their speech, but their "Canadian
raising" is no different from that of the whites in the area.