Words for grandparents: was: Pittsburgh Dialect

Lynne Murphy lynnem at COGS.SUSX.AC.UK
Thu Oct 19 07:49:11 UTC 2000

Beverley Olson Flanigan wrote:

>         Do Pittsburghers also use "mamaw" and "papaw" for grandmother and
>grandfather?  These are common in SE Ohio (in all age groups), and I'm
>curious to know how far east/northeast they go.

I don't know about Pittsburgh, but I've known two families in western
NY who call one set of Grandparents "Nana" and "Pup-up" (no idea how
_they_ spell it!  I think it's the paternal g-parents in both cases).
The families are completely unrelated (and the citations are 20 years
apart).  I always (as a local) found these words strange.  Are they
imports from another area?  I'm sure 'nana' is common, but the fact
that both families consider 'nana' and 'pup-up' to be a matched set
in some way--that seems suspiciously precise.

(In our family, we had 2 grandmas and a papa.  If my other
grandfather were alive, he would've been 'grandpa'--there could be
only one Papa.)

Lynne

--
M. Lynne Murphy