Southern 2nd-person plural double genitive

Jessie Emerson jessie at SIRSI.COM
Thu Oct 19 15:12:28 UTC 2000

Natalie Maynor wrote:

> The y'all/you-all split seems to me related more to age than to region.
Old people are more likely to say you-all.

Yes, I am in Huntsville, but I come from Winston County.  There are probably
people in Huntsville who do say "you all," but I bet they are from LA (Lower
Alabama), or have family in the south.  In North Alabama, I associate "you
all" with the folks in the southern part of the state who traditionally
control the government and the flow of money around here. :^)  Definitely
regional.  That's why I usually preface my comments on "southern" dialect
items with "North Alabama"--the dialect (and accent) in the southern part of
the state is a whole 'nuther animal.

An aside:  Doesn't the coastal southern dialect map dip really high once it
gets into Mississippi?

Jessie Emerson
(who cringes whenever "southern" is applied as a blanket dialect term)