Bushspeak and Off-Topic

Grant Barrett gbarrett at MONICKELS.COM
Fri Oct 20 14:43:14 UTC 2000

On vendredi 20 octobre 2000 15:26, Mariann Maris
<sarim at CSD.UWM.EDU> wrote:

>A film newsclip on a local television station of the candidate
at a stop
>in LaCrosse., Wisconsin, this week - he said "onimous" when he
meant
>"ominous."

As much as I dislike George W. Bush  and Al Gore, God forbid I
should ever find myself accountable for all my communication
mistakes, verbal or written, accidental or typographical, ignorant or
intentional. That kind of accounting would fairly well destroy
me. If I have any respect at all for these men it starts with
recognizing the abuse they've subjected themselves to.

Last night here in Paris we had a joint session with a group of
French students from Jussieau in which we had all three
presidential debates playing in different rooms. People could walk from
room to room and catch the debates with a little cheese and wine,
bread and crackers, soda and chips, etc. When I asked a couple of
French kids what they thought about the election one kid answered
with just: "Demagogues."

As good a one-word assessment as I could ever come up with, if
not exactly correct.