Words for grandparents: was: Pittsburgh Dialect

Joe Pickett Joe_Pickett at HMCO.COM
Fri Oct 20 15:27:44 UTC 2000

I can support the non-WASP background for Nana, though perhaps Nana
ultimately comes from the English.

My paternal grandmother (Gaelic-speaking from Castlebar, County Mayo) was
always referred to as Nana, and so was my wife's Irish grandmother
(Protestant from Banbridge, in the North).

My wife's grandfather (also from Banbridge) was always referred to as Gaga
(pronounced GUH-guh).  Now our kids refer to her parents (Americans living
near Kilkeel, in County Down) as "Nana and Gaga."

Joe

Arnold Zwicky <zwicky at CSLI.STANFORD.EDU>@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> on 10/19/2000
07:43:05 PM

Please respond to American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>

Sent by:  American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>