Tween & Centimillionaires & more

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Oct 21 03:50:24 UTC 2000

NEW YORK OBSERVER ARTICLE

   I was gonna post the New York Observer article, but I got beaten out by
some guy from Ohio.  Here's part of it:

   "This is an A.R.E.--'acronym-rich environment," said _Talk_ magazine
senior editor and writer Sam Sifton, who's a pal of mine and whose hilarious
book, _A Field Guide to the Yetti_, will be published--in a frenzy of
synergy--next month by Talk Miramax Books ($10.95).  (_Yettie_ is Sam's word
for "young entrepreneurial technocrat.")

TWEEN

   From the WALL STREET JOURNAL, 20 October 2000, pg. W17, col. 4:

   _The Tween Menace_
_Young girls, "sophisticated" tastes.  Try shopping with your daughter now._
By Amy Finnerty
   "Pleather," a sort of lustrous faux leather, is the hot fabric this season
for "tweens," those not-yet-teenage girls who dress and vamp like spendthrift
18-year-olds.

CENTIMILLIONAIRES

   From the WALL STREET JOURNAL, 20 October 2000, pg. A1, col. 6:

(...)
_An Unhappy Upper Echelon_
   _Of Ex-Centimillionaires_
   _Sees Stakes Plunge 90%_
(...)(Pg. A6, col. 1--ed.)
   The financial losses of the Internet nouveaux riches have created a wealth
of black humor.  "B to B," the Web jargon for "business to business," has
become shorthand for "back to banking," the industry that some Internet
executives came from and now are returning to.  The term "B to C," for
business-to-consumer Internet companies, now stands for "back to consulting."
(...)
   Mr. Jackson of Intraware has coined a phrase for the company's seemingly
ever-shrinking stock price:  the "balata," named after the golf-ball covering
that helps golfers put backspin on the ball, making it roll back toward the
golfer after landing on the green.

BUSHISMS (continued)

   Boy, could we have fun with "Bushism" as WOTY.
   From the WALL STREET JOURNAL, pg. A1, col. 5:

   _MINOR MEMOS:_  The Nader campaign markets a T-shirt that reads, "Bush and
Gore make me wanna ralph." ... PoliticalShop.com says its hottest item is a
Gore photo button showing "The Kiss" with the words, "One for the Tipper."
... The latest Bushism: In discussing tax cuts, Bush says, "Families is where
our nation takes hope, where wings take dream."