Bushspeak

Mon Oct 23 12:38:30 UTC 2000

The columnist Tom Sowell noted that Gore was untrustworthy since he
modified his speech (at an African-American NYC meeting) to imitate the
style of a Black preacher. Accommodation theory, of course, predicts that
detected speech accommodation may be unappreciated. It would be nice to
know what the people who were at the rally thought (since we know what
Sowell thinks of AAE in general).

Odd (but sad) that, as usual, as in yet another NYTimes piece, pundits
pundify on language with no reference to scientific work. Better than it
was only a few years ago, but still pretty shallow (when you consider the
fact that "chemistry" news would not be printed without at least a quick
consultation with a chemist).

dInIs

>A provincial note:  here in Columbus GA, a local wag-wannabe wrote a letter
>to the editor of the Columbus Ledger-Enquirer that lambasted Al Gore for not
>maintaining a proper "Southern" accent, a sure sign that he doesn't
>represent Southern voters.  (!?!)  The writer praised Bush for not hiding
>his accent.  The writer supports Bush for this "reason."

Dennis R. Preston
Department of Linguistics and Languages
Michigan State University
East Lansing MI 48824-1027 USA