Words for grandparents

Lynne Murphy lynnem at COGS.SUSX.AC.UK
Mon Oct 23 14:36:07 UTC 2000

>Not just English speaking sub-Saharan Africa, Nancy.  In the DROC (former
>Zaire), the capitol, Kinshasa, is usually referred to as Kin, and the
>'second city' of Lubumbashi is often referred to colloquially as Lubum.

I think this was meant to be addressed to me, not Nancy...  But
there's a difference here--you're not getting the -s on the end that
you get with Gabs (Gabarone), Wits (Witwatersrand), and Durbs
(Durban).  I'm not surprised that long names are clipped, but it
seems to be the British influence that accounts for the -s on the end
of clipings.

Lynne
--
M. Lynne Murphy