laxing of high front vowel before /g/ and in quiche

Tue Oct 24 17:26:47 UTC 2000

We have a Meigs County in SE Ohio, but whether it refers to the same family
name or not I don't know (our Meigs was an army general--Revolution? Civil
War?).  In any case, here it's pronounced [mEgz].  Assuming it's an
American name, I wouldn't posit [maIgz] or [migz], but [mIgz] seems
possible, esp. considering the [gEt/gIt] alternation common in the
Midland.  Besides, I don't think Chicago falls into the area of /i/
laxing.  See Labov's Phonological Atlas maps on his website.