Email vs. E-mail at Wired

Donald M. Lance LanceDM at MISSOURI.EDU
Wed Oct 25 02:46:06 UTC 2000

Yes, e-mail is a compound, but the first element is not a root consisting of only a tense
high front vowel.  The 'e' is the name of a letter, as in s-mail / ess-mail and t-shirt,
which some people insist on capitalizing, I suspect not because of the shape of T but
because the initial element is the name of a letter.  I've never seen S-mail, however --
perhaps because of the metaphoricality of the 's'.  Ah, metaphoricality -- ain't language
a wonderful tool !!
DMLance