Yinglish

Gerald Cohen gcohen at UMR.EDU
Thu Oct 26 00:04:49 UTC 2000

Laurence Horn wrote on Oct. 25:

>Does anyone use or know of a nice little chapter or article on
>Yiddish-influenced English that includes discussion of the syntactic
>traits (so-called "Y-movement", as in "A VACuum cleaner he gives me",
>imported complementizers, as in "I want you should do this now",
>resumptive pronouns, etc.) as well as lexical items (including
>calques like "go know") and morphological (X-shmX) processes?  There
>are some wonderful treatments of AAVE and Appalachian English
>suitable for intro courses, and I'd be interested in locating a YE
>parallel.

----If you want to be on very safe ground, I would recommend checking with
the YIVO Center for Advanced Jewish Studies.  Unless they've moved, the
address is 1048 5th Avenue, New York, NY 10028.  You might also try getting
ahold of David Gold (formerly U of Haifa; now back in the States, I
believe). Gold is very knowledgeable on Yiddish matters and can almost
certainly provide some input to your project.

---Gerald Cohen

gcohen at umr.edu