Blend: "my eyebrows dropped"

GEORGE THOMPSON thompsng at ELMER4.BOBST.NYU.EDU
Thu Oct 26 15:30:56 UTC 2000

Gerald Cohen reports:
    I noticed the following interesting syntactic blend in the Wall Street
        Journal, October 24, 2000, p.A27/1; letter to editor  with title:
        "Is Dimaggio's 'Streak' Really So Important?":

    "...While I am used to the hype that 'The Streak' is accorded, my
        eyebrows still dropped when I read Mr. Tofel characterize it as 'the
        longest lasting record of significance in baseball history'...."

    The blend here: "My jaw dropped" and "My eyebrows shot up,"  with
        reference of course to surprise.

Can this refer to the action of squinting at surprise upon reading an
absurd statement?  Tightening the cheek muscles and lowering the
eyebrows, as if thinking: Am I reading this correctly?  Let me read
it again while squinting, to sharpen my sight.

GAT