Online Dialect Translators

Grant Barrett gbarrett at MONICKELS.COM
Sun Oct 29 14:27:41 UTC 2000

Below is a message about a site with the always amusing dialect "translations." The
one of particular note is the Ali G translator, who Lynne and others in the UK may
know as lately being an influence on slang. Yanks might know him as the chauffeur in
Madonna's "Music" video. He's even got his own section at Yahoo.

http://search.yahoo.com/bin/search?p=ali+g

All of the "translations" are merely word substitutions.

Due to the nature of your society, I thought that you might be interested in
the following website:

At http://www.whoohoo.co.uk you can enter an English phrase and the site
will translate it into different British dialects including Scouse
(Liverpool), Geordie (Newcastle), Scottish, Brummie (Birmingham), Yorkshire,
Posh and like Ali G (cockney).

If you like the site,  please could you link to it from your site?  If you
ever do a feature on British dialect,  I hope that the site might be
appropriate?  Even if you don't,  any feedback would be very much
appreciated!

Thank you very much for your time,

Christopher Kelly
chris at ck-net.com