Vote Swapping (E-Votes; Battleground/Swing States)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Oct 29 20:54:08 UTC 2000

   From the Sunday DAILY NEWS (New York), 29 October 2000, pg. 28, col. 4:

_E-vote_
_swaps_
_boost_
_Nader_
By Helen Kennedy
   APPLETON, Wis.--Cyber-savvy liberals have hit upon an innovative plan to
help both Ralph Nader and Al Gore at the expense of Geroge Bush: Vote
swapping over the Internet.
   The idea is that individual Gore supporters in blowout states like New
York and Texas--where the outcome of the election is in no doubt--pledge to
vote for Nader in exchange for a Nader supporter in a battleground state such
as Wisconsin casting a ballot for Gore.
   (...)(NaderTrader.org is mentioned--ed.)
   At VoteExchange.org, several hundred people have exchanged E-mail pledges.
 VoteSwap2000.com is building a database of one-to-one vote matches.  As of
yesterday, the second day of operation, 1,606 votes had been swapped, mostly
between New York and Texas and the Pacific Northwest.

   My opinion (off-topic) is that this doesn't address the real root of the
problem--the Electoral College must go.  William Safire (his other columns)
can address this as well.  I sent the attached e-mail to Politics1 this
weekend, but haven't yet received a response.