someone/somebody, etc.

Johanna Wood joh.wood at ASU.EDU
Mon Oct 30 04:20:15 UTC 2000

Also not quite what was asked for but, Helena Raumolin-Brunberg and Leena
Kahlas-Tarkka (1997) "Indefinite Pronouns with Singular Human Reference"
trace the historical development of -body -man and -one compounds from OE to
the 18th century.  According to them, Quirk et al. (1985) and Jespersen
(1914) claim -body and -one compounds are identical in meaning although
Bolinger (1976) "argues that there is a subtle difference in meaning between
the series, ONE and its compounds being marked for closeness to the speaker
and individualization, whereas BODY is unmarked in these senses."
R-B and K-T suggest that there are no semantic differences, though
syntactically there are, since only -one compounds can be used in partitives
(anyone of the students / *anybody of the students).

Johanna -- a student--but not someone/somebody volunteering for this
project.

Johanna Wood
Teaching Associate
Department of English
Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ 85287-0302