Spanglish in Chronicle of Higher Education (and Yinglish)

Peter Farruggio pfarr at UCLINK4.BERKELEY.EDU
Mon Oct 30 16:25:37 UTC 2000

Just a quick comment on code-switching and Spanglish:  I don't think
they're the same thing, but of course "Spanglish" is a fuzzy quantity,
which could be considered by some to include some forms of code-switching,
I guess.  But there are code-switchers who have good command of both
languages, and who follow Gumperz's formula of swittching between them for
rhetorical and psychological reasons, without using many bastardized loan
words.  I have found most "Spanglish" users to consider the hispanicized
English words to be real Spanish words (el buildin, el co (coat), etc)
because they don't know the official Spanish words.

Pete Farruggio