terms for CA

Dan Slosberg cruzatte at LEWISANDCLARK.ORG
Fri Sep 1 16:59:22 UTC 2000

Elizabeth,

I'm a lurker on the ADS-L list--I'm not a member of the society, nor am I a
professional linguist. But I love words, and I've been researching the
dialect of the French Canadians on the Lewis and Clark expedition.

Also, I live in Los Angeles, California, hence the following comments about
your recent post:

>I'm also looking for way of referring to California (such as "La-la land"
>or "Tinseltown")....

As I understand it, "La-la land" refers specifically to Los Angeles, not to
California, "La-la" coming from L.A., the abbreviation for Los Angeles

Also, "Tinseltown," I believe, refers specifically to Hollywood. "Tinsel"
implies shallowness, a concern with appearances only. Not that such things
have anything to do with Hollywood.

The only term I recall for the whole of California is "The Golden State."

-Dan