package store

Peter A. McGraw pmcgraw at LINFIELD.EDU
Fri Sep 1 16:28:20 UTC 2000

I remember hearing "package store" in other places where I've lived (I
think either SW Ohio or Tennessee or both; I think not in NJ, but wouldn't
swear to it).  But I don't think I've ever heard it used in Oregon.  Others
have alluded to differentiation of "liquor store" and "package store," and
state laws may possibly have something to do with it.  For some reason, I
associate "package store" with a place that sells beer as well as
liquor--especially the kind of store found in Ohio which combines a walk-in
liquor store with drive-through beer sales.  In Oregon, hard liquor is a
state monopoly, sold only in state stores that sell only that and sometimes
mixers, while beer and wine are sold in grocery stores (Oops!  should I say
"supermarkets"? :) ).  Since you don't go there for six-packs and the like,
that might account for the fact that "package store" never caught on here.

Peter Mc.

--On Thu, Aug 31, 2000 2:45 PM -0400 Frank Abate <fabate at BLR.COM> wrote:

> I clearly didn't realize that this was as widely used as it seems to be.
> Maybe this thread will help in mapping the usage.   I can say that, in my
> experience, its use is not universal.  Could others comment as to whether
> it IS in use in their area?

                               Peter A. McGraw
                   Linfield College   *   McMinnville, OR
                            pmcgraw at linfield.edu