apologies

Lynne Murphy lynnem at COGS.SUSX.AC.UK
Fri Sep 1 21:19:32 UTC 2000

Let me chastize myself before someone else does:

>  So, I unfairly beat up on all
>these nice little old ladies

Being little old ladies (or nice) had nothing to do with these folks'
position in the scrabble hierarchy.  There are plenty of (nice)
little old ladies who are far superior to me.  It was the case,
however, that I was either the youngest or second youngest woman
there and my division was almost all female. Most of the top-top
players are young men (several prodigies).  Women come to Scrabble
later it seems.  There's a sociology thesis here somewhere.

OK, enough about scrabble.  (Or, so I don't get sued, Scrabble® brand
crossword game.)

Hoping to be a little old lady (but destined to be a big old lady, I'm sure),
Lynne

--
Dr M Lynne Murphy
Lecturer in Linguistics