mondegreen revisited

David Bergdahl einstein at FROGNET.NET
Mon Sep 4 15:37:31 UTC 2000

                       A MUSIC web site which has catalogued
misinterpreted lyrics for the
                       past six years has published an all-time top 10.

                       The designer, Jessica Ross, has archived some of
the funniest
                       blunders on her website - www.kissthisguy.com. -
named after an
                       often-changed Jimi Hendrix lyric, "Excuse Me
While I Kiss The Sky"
                       from Purple Haze.

                       Site users' admissions include Meatloaf singing
"Like a battery hen"
                       (Like a bat out of hell); the Eurythmics' "It's
all right, babies come in
                       bags" (Baby's coming back); Paul Young - "Every
time you go away,
                       you take a piece of meat (me) with you"; and
Elvis Presley - "You ate
                       (ain't) nothing but a hound dog".

                       The top 10 includes, in order: Oliver's Army by
Elvis Costello with lyrics
                       mistaken as "All of the zombies (instead of
"Oliver's Army") are on
                       their way"; Don't It Make My Brown Eyes Blue by
Crystal Gayle with
                       the mistaken lyric "Donuts make my brown eyes
blue"; Africa, by Toto,
                       with "Nothing but a hundred men on Mars could
ever do" instead of "A
                       hundred men or more "; Best Shot by Pat Benatar
with "Hit me with
                       your pet shark"; How Deep Is Your Love? by the
Bee Gees with "You
                       come to me on a submarine" instead of "on a
summer breeze";
                       Blowin' In The Wind by Bob Dylan with "The ants
are my friends,
                       they're blowing in the wind" instead of "The
answer my friend is blowin'
                       in the wind".

-- from the Electronic Telegraph 9/4/00