"diffy Q" vs. "D.E." for "Differential Equations"

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Mon Sep 4 21:16:30 UTC 2000

At 02:18 PM 9/4/00 -0600, you wrote:
>         A retired professor of Mathematics at my campus tells me he is
>familiar with the colloquial  "Diffy Q" (for "Differential Equations") only
>from our campus (University of Missouri-Rolla).  Elsewhere he has heard the
>reference only as "D.E."
>He has been retired for ten years.
>
>         I told him I would ask ADS-L about this.  Can anyone help?  Is
>anyone familiar with "Diffy Q" at other universities?

Certainly I heard "diffy Q", as a course designation, at U. of Michigan in
the 1960's-1970's. I think I've heard it other places too. I don't recall
"D.E." in this context but it sounds like what would appear in the
abbreviated name of a 'combined' course such as "calculus and D.E.". I
think the unabbreviated "differential equations" was common.

-- Doug Wilson