"hundreds and thousands" (was Martabak)

Peter A. McGraw pmcgraw at LINFIELD.EDU
Tue Sep 5 18:44:08 UTC 2000

I never heard of "hundreds and thousands," but Dutch "muisjes"* are those
tiny little jelly bean-shaped chocolate bits that I think are just called
"sprinkles" in the U.S.  In the U.S. they also come in multiple colors and
you sprinkle them on cakes and cookies; in Holland, you sprinkle them on
bread and butter as one of the optional items for breakfast and the other
cold meal of the day.  I'm not sure how they're used in England.

Peter Mc.

* lit. "mousies," so named for their resemblance to mouse droppings.  (NOW
go sprinkle them on a cake!)

--On Tue, Sep 5, 2000 12:59 PM -0500 Jessie Emerson <jessie at SIRSI.COM>
wrote:

> What is being described here?  I'm not familiar with "hundreds and
> thousands," but if it involves chocolate, I wanna know!
>
> Jessie Emerson
>

> Barry Popik wrote...
>> There are several standard fillings for sweet martabak.  One of them is a
> sort of coloured sugar, usually coated in chocolate and similar to what in
> England are called "hundreds and thousands."  Indonesians use the Dutch
> name, muisjes. (...)

                               Peter A. McGraw
                   Linfield College   *   McMinnville, OR
                            pmcgraw at linfield.edu