[OFF] Teaching: portfolios?

Mai Kuha mkuha at BSUVC.BSU.EDU
Fri Sep 8 12:22:46 UTC 2000

What a great idea for an item to include in a portfolio. Especially in the
case of this group, the autobiographies would be very interesting reading
for me, in addition to giving students the opportunity to relate just
about all the course content to their own experience.

Several people on teach-ling sent me descriptions of how they've used
portfolios in linguistics classes, comments on what kind of course they're
best suited for, potential pitfalls, and detailed suggestions for
guidelines to give students. One person has her students do a multimedia
"scrapbook of language artifacts"! Depending on how much more discussion
there is on teach-ling, I can either summarize or get permission to
forward messages, so if anyone here is interested, maybe the best approach
would be to let me know off-list.

-Mai

Mai Kuha                  mkuha at bsuvc.bsu.edu
Department of English     (765) 285-8410
Ball State University