Faction; new use of BE-?

Fri Sep 8 13:12:57 UTC 2000

In a message dated 9/8/2000 8:45:48 AM, t.irons at MOREHEAD-ST.EDU writes:

<< A student recently wrote the following in a paper:

This is a major question that factions linguists into prescriptive and
descriptive camps.

The use of "faction" as a verb is new to me.  Rather than suggest it is
an error, which would place me in the prescriptive camp (!), I wonder
whether others, who study usage more than I do, have noted this use
(perhaps similar to impact and access, which are now regularly used as verbs.

I've never noticed FACTION as a verb, but I did overhear a new (to me) use of
the prefix BE-: "If the DESIGNER is bewildered by the way this project is
working out, then I would say that we are all BEFUCKED!" Does anyone have any
cites for BEFUCKED?